View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #87 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quality comes and quality goes. I remember that there was a while when VWs were absolute crap (anyone remember the "self-machining transmission"?), and then they got good again. And more recently, bad again. The new ones may be better, but I don't have a lot of exposure to new VWs...

There are also good and bad examples of every car. I know of some Toyotas that were horrible money-pits, while others just keep going and going.

It's all fine and dandy to wail about the money-grubbing accountants who run auto makers, but making money is how the companies stay in business. There are thousands of Porsche "faithful" who were almost ready to commit murder when they found out that Porsche was building an SUV, for instance, but it's by far the best-selling thing they offer.

History is full of people with cool engineering ideas who never got to get them out to the general public. (Preston Tucker, for an example from the automotive world.) For a company to survive, they have to sell things, and make a profit. IIRC, Triumph Sports Cars was absorbed by BL because they lost money with every car they sold...

-soD