View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #108 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
...I'm deciding what level of authority the BMS should have in discharging. It seems some level of limp-mode would be good at a pre-set voltage...
I would second that. Some sort of warning from the BMS is better than just cutting drive power as a reaction to a low cell voltage. Then after a short length of time if not manually overridden move on to more aggressive measures. Limp mode or shutdown.
Having some form of manual override would alow you to continue to drive even after the low cell voltage warning. Leaving it up to you to either feather the throttle and find somewhere to charge asap or just safely pull over and shut down.
The last thing you would want is some sort of situation where you needed a burst of power but the BMS cuts the drive due to the increased voltage sag. Leaving you stranded on the railway crossing.

The BMS can make the decision on when to cut the charging cycle but i wouldn't want to leave it solely to the BMS deal with under voltage events. Under voltage events require a decision based on the current driving situation, something the BMS is largely unaware of.