View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #87 (permalink)
ksa8907
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
Data used in reference , citation to it's source , and the logical steps taken ... already posted previously .. go back and re-read post #33

And yes , it is a generalization .. AFAIK it isn't possible to talk about vehicle 'safety' and not generalize ... Air bags under some situations are the cause of injury (not prevent it) .. Same with seat belts ... etc .. etc.

If you don't generalize ... you than are only left with one answer ... = .. "It depends on the situation" ... Any 'safety' feature may itself cause a hazard in some cherry picked specific situation .. so , instead , we generalize... so we can say things like .. 'generally' air bags reduce hazards more than they cause them ... 'generally' seat belts reduce hazards more than they cause them ... etc.

So ... now let's talk... Lighter vehicle is itself a safety feature .. if you care about safety of yourself and others .. make sure to include it in your list of things to consider the next time you consider buying a vehicle.

- - - -

Speaking of safety and PoV on Statistics ... for fun ... next time you have to travel .. keep in mind ... Air travel is just under 3x more dangerous 'per trip' , than driving a car ... and about 27x more dangerous than taking a bus 'per trip' ... Link ... The air lines love to 'push' the PoV of 'per mile' ... because it makes them look good ... and they really try to avoid discussion of their horribly low safety rating 'per trip'... because it makes them look bad ... but if you have a choice .. flying is not 'automatically' the safer option (statistically) ... odds are taking a bus is safer in more cases (but not always)... love safety for yourself and your loved ones = 'take a bus'.
To start things off I should point out, the references you made to the IIHS presentation is good. But its a presentation not a technical paper, so we don't know if those "per 1 million registered vehicles" is one million vehicles distributed among the different types, or 1 million of each type.

If you still believe you are correct, please show me REAL DATA from a PEER REVIEWED STUDY/TECHNICAL PAPER.

Also, taken directly from the summary of the presentation: "• Smaller and lighter vehicles will always have some disadvantage"
I really don't know how to chalk that one up in favor of smaller and lighter vehicles.

As far as our disagreeing, I'll drive my larger and heavier vehicle and you can drive your smaller and lighter vehicle. For your sake, I hope we never wind up in an accident together.