View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
IMHO it's not really worth the $$ for the specialty transmission jack. You can make do pretty well with a regular floor jack and some wood and creativity. Make sure to have lots of wood scraps on hand.

A few things I remember vividly from replacing the clutch in my CRX:
- The axle nuts are a bear. Make sure you're pushing down on your cheater bar rather than pulling up; I applied enough torque to the wheel to make the tire slip against the ground when pulling up. (The upward pull decreased the weight pushing the tire down, decreasing the friction, yadda yadda.) There was less room on one side for pushing down, but it worked much better.

- Check lots of procedures for separating the lower ball joints. Some of them may not work. Use the pickle fork as a last resort, as it is very easy to damage the ball joint.
- If you simply cannot get something unbolted, look for how to remove the thing that is fastened to. I was unable to remove the "b*tch pin" in my shift linkage, so I unbolted the other end of the linkage and dropped it out with the trans.

-soD
Towards the middle of December, I'd recently replaced both half-shafts on my 98 Civic Cx. The most effective tool that I found for separating the lower ball joints came from Harbor Freight at an expense of $20.00 and it was quick, simple and easy to use...man did that thing pay for itself.

I understand what you're saying about the b*tch pin in the shaft linkage, which is the just the sort of "heads-up" advise that I'm hoping to get from other members. Information like that gives me time to anticipate & prepare for the task at hand. I'm hoping that more members are willing to contribute their experiences with me.

So with said, what other potential problems lie in wait, and what are some suggestions towards getting around them?

Last edited by Davo53209@yahoo.com; 02-15-2015 at 02:12 PM..