View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Camper build using old Hi-Lo

So I went through a few more possible designs including the idea of a slide-on camper for a flatbed sort of like a slide-in camper for a pickup but with a template taper and pup up top with tent sides. That was a good idea in my book as I would end up with a good car hauler when the camper was off and in my state only the trailer would need to be licensed not the camper.
Then this 1995 Tow Lite, Hi-Lo style, camper popped up when looking for a used car hauler, for less then all the used car haulers I was looking at. It has water damage in the rear of the top. This is perfect. All the appliances are good and it has great tires, axles, suspension and floors. The lower, inner clamshell is perfect So my plan now is to just remove this factory top clamshell and make my own hinged/pop-up top. Even towing it back as-is I was getting 15 mpg with a Hemi Aspen at 65 mph.
My design should allow a slight rearward slope and will reduce the overall width a good 6" as the top clamshell overhangs the bottom by at least 3" on each side. I will get some better pics tomorrow but these are the crappy ones from the ad.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-17-2015), BamZipPow (06-25-2015), mikeyjd (02-16-2015)