View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #119 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Surplus TANKS are available, but they are not very economical. However, they are "...built like a tank..." (pun intended).
I've been in a tank. 60 tons on tracks make for a smooooth ride, but a sudden stop (like you'll get from hitting another tank) will make your next of kin wish you'd been riding in something with crumple zones. That energy's got to go somewhere, folks.

It was nice to see the IIHS explaining that armor makes you stupid:

“We think most of the differences HLDI found in ESC effectiveness reflect things like how a vehicle handles, its size and weight, and who’s at the wheel more than they do the system’s design or manufacturer. That is, the SUVs with the highest insurance losses to begin with get the biggest benefit from ESC, not because they have better stability control systems but because they are more likely to get into situations that ESC is designed to prevent.”

In other words, If you make something idiot proof, nature makes a better idiot. It's not just a joke. If we can step back from that report being a study of how to idiot proof these things, we can see that the solution is right there- size, weight and handling keep people out of accidents more than electronic band-aids ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
I have said for years that if we replace all the airbags with steak knives there would never be any accidents. The drivers would all actually pay attention.
Come to think of it, I probably first heard that on this forum somewhere.
Just the one in the steering wheel. That's all we really need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%