View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #1710 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
BAH, 10 ft. No biggie. 10 MV signal 1000 ft in a mega watt EMR environment, thats exciting. worse case, get a roll of aluminum foil and wrap the wires in it, or metal duct tape foil. Think FARADAY cage.

I believe you are overthinking this.

Back to our regularily sponsored discussion. Sorry for the hi-jack
The output of the AC drive is a pulse train. I think Paul is starting out at 8 Khz, although that may change. 0VDC to maybe 600VDC, or 850 VDC (if I use a 575VAC motor). Analyzing harmonics appears to me to be more of a black art than science. What appear to be very small changes can create resonance at some higher frequency (100s of Khz or Mhz) and mess with all sorts of electronics.

The guys at EVTV have identified problems with commercially available AC controllers, where the AC fed to the motor is interfering with signals into and out of the controller - like the throttle, the regen signal from the brakes, even the low voltage DC that powers the controller. EVTV builds have mysteriously blown up many DC/DC converters and no one appears to know why. EVTV sells shielded single-conductor power cables to mitigate the noise. And they have shielded low voltage cable as well, although they don't appear to emphasize using it. There are other video shows and other suppliers that have had problems, but EVTV appears to publish these sorts of problems.

Some people are having issues, in their cars, with the hardware they have built or purchased. And I'm a paranoid. In my opinion, it's better to talk about what is over-the-top and what is practical and will be good-enough .. than to agonize over a system that has intermittent problems that you can't track down.

Getting towed home is not the way I want people to remember my electric car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
e*clipse (02-16-2015), mpgmike (02-08-2022)