View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
surfingisfun001
EcoModding Lurker

Should I be getting better gas mileage with my VX?

Hi all.

I recently bought a 1995 honda civic hatchback VX. It is the california edition not federal so it doesn't come with the lean burn function. Online it says the CA edition gets 37 mpg city/45 highway and the federal edition 39 city/50 highway. I have read other stats saying (federal) is 44 city/51 highway. I have also seen people say that they get 55, 60, even 70 mpg + with VX's.

My first several tanks I was only getting an average of 28 mpg city which left me very disappointed and I began researching why this could be. I found that the tires were heavily deflated to 25 psi and lower, one being at 10 psi. I inflated the tires to 35 psi and got 35 mpg city on my last tank. Much better than 28 mpg.

Being that the CA edition VX rating is at 37 mpg city online and 45 highway. I am wondering if 35 mpg city is about right, being that it is an old car with over 300,000 miles on it. Is 35 miles per gallon city correct for a CA edition VX or should I be seeing higher?

I also replaced the fuel filter, have a new O2 sensor, and the engine is in fact a stock D15Z1 Vtech-E and there are no mods on the car.