View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #1729 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
First power up

I have 60V (just because I have 5 12V batteries that I can use) connected to controller

High V side

Battery pack neg -> precharge resistor (with precharge contactor across it) -> B- on controller

Battery pack pos -> 80 amp DC braker -> primary contactor -> B+ on controller

U,V,W on controller are connected to motor. No overload blocks or contactor.

Low V Side

12V from battery into DC/DC, out as 24V and use the spade connectors into the controller board

+ and - from primary contactor to primary contactor (gigavac)

+ and - from precharge contactor to precharge contactor (gigavac)

serial from connector to USB/serial converter, terminal set for 9600,n,8,1 (is that right?)

Throttle connected to 5K pot (not throttle, since it's hard to hold the throttle in a consistent position)

Turn on 12V. Nothing seems to happen? Well, the DC/DC has a green LED

No lights blink. No serial text on the laptop.

SMOKE! Turn off the 12V into the DC/DC and check. Does the pot need to be at 0 ohms or at 5K on startup? .. the tiny little wires are hot.

Disconnect and check the pot. It still reads 0 - 5K, but the 5V and wiper signals are always the same. And it smells bad. I don't have another handy but a 10K should work, I just won't be able to use full throttle!

Check terminals on the controller for the throttle, so I power up the battery. 4.95V on V+, using GND pin as reference. So far so good. Throttle input pin is 4.75V? Maybe the pin has a pullup resistor? Didi I break something?

Repeat the test with throttle set at half, and after I exchange tx and rx on the cable .. is it tx from the laptop or tx from the controller? Same result - no text on startup. Maybe I have the baud rate wrong? I didn't see a UART setup in the old ACcontroller.c so I'll go look at the new one.

I jumper TX to RX on the cable I made. The laptop echos characters so I think the cable is OK.

I can't think of anything else to check, so I'll take some pictures and post them. Maybe I just missed a couple of steps.

Battery pack with jumpers between batteries

High voltage end, positive DC on the top (red), negative DC (black) with precharge resistor on the contactor, 3 motor phases toward the bottom

Low voltage end, battery with 5A breaker on the left, DC/DC in the middle wired to controller on the right. Contactor cables exit on top and go right. Serial cable plugged into controller board. Throttle pot shown middle bottom.

5 HP, 3 phase, 575V motor with plastic pipe and hose coupler that looks like it will drive the encoder. I need to make a bracket to hold up the encoder, and I need to single condition the encoder output down to 5V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2337 battery pack.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	17074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2338 hv end.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	17075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2339 LV end.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	17076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2340 motor and encoder.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	17077  

Last edited by thingstodo; 02-22-2015 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Add pictures and descriptions