View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I wonder why no A/C? That's gonna be a big chunk of change to get installed. Unless he has paperwork, timing belt will need to be done, that's another 500$. Had the clutch ever been done? No? There goes another ~700$. If he doesn't have receipts for the maintenance done. He is a liar (I just assume this with everyone). 3500 IMO is too much. C.A HX has lean burn, and you can get the federal one and slap it in so it will slip in easier, and it won't effect smog. The HX I had, had a federal ECU, and it passed smog better than any car I have owned/my parents have ever owned.

[Edit]: If the clutch and timing belt has been done recently, along with all general maintenance WITH receipts, it's worth 3500, otherwise just assume everything they say is a lie.
What would be a good offer? It seems that these cars go further than 100k on timing belts and well beyond that on the original clutch, I'm hearing things all across the board though.. :/

I figured 2800-3200 would be a far min/max for my offer, given the difficulty I've had finding one locally as well.

I think I can find and install A/C myself for under $400, hopefully closer to $300.

Thanks for your feedback thus far. I remember you from my want ad thread.

The bummer with my situation is traveling a few hundred miles to find another good car, and also one that's got lower miles and similar age. Most I see are 1997's with 160k on them, often no timing belt change. sucks. I think he said no receipts so I doubt even if he's "changed the timing belt" it would be difficult to tell for sure.

Same damn dilemma as before, I'd end up in $4k territory by the time I do the necessary maintenance.

This is going to get tricky.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!

Last edited by figit090; 02-23-2015 at 04:49 AM..