View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
aeromodding del sol track car

Well this isn't exaclty the forum for talking about race cars, but at least my race car uses less gas in an 8-hour training day than a corvette uses in a 40-minute track session.

My Del Sol has some good mods, but none of them are power-mods. I have a high-gear ratio tranny that is crap for acceleration, and a small motor. D16Z6 for those of you that care. Due to lack of power, i figure .CdA is the place to tune this car.

The profile of a Del Sol is aerodynamic-vomit. So far I have used the advice of this forum to make a "garden edging air dam" that extends my bumper 6" closer to the ground and I've installed a coroplast partial undertray (from firewall back with a gap in the middle for exhaust). It also has a 1-piece fiberglass hood/fenders/bumper that is wonderfully smooth and has fender flares to reduce my wheel turbulence.

My next intended step is to turn the car into a fast-back with a piece of flexible lexan. I am hoping to create a profile that matches the curve of a NACA aerofoil as described in another thread about rear window curves.

After that, a rear diffuser to smooth the flow around the gas tank and my incomplete rear-end.

Also possibly garden-edge side-skirts.

Any suggestions re: fastback design?