View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #1731 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
It's set up for a hall effect throttle.
Yes, I remember your message spelling that out ... and my mind is not so good at recalling recent details (it's an age thing) SIGH!

So - how would I fake a reasonable hall effect signal?

I have a power supply (Kickstarter project) that takes USB (5V) and will put out a variable voltage. Would that work out?

Quote:
If you have a 0-5k pot hooked up to it, and it was one of the wires connected to +5v -------- POT ----------- gnd (connected to the 2nd wire). And if you move the throttle to 0 Ohm, it would be +5v --------- 0 oHMS --------- GND.

Could that be what happened?
The connection was 5V to one side of the pot (I'll call that left), 0V to the other side of the pot (middle) and wiper to the right pin. I don't think the pot was a minimum, but the pot is no longer operational. Resistance from 5V side to wiper works as expected. Gnd is just another connection for wiper (I suspect melted resistor inside)

As I mentioned, measuring the board I get 4.95V between 5V and gnd pins ... which is close enough for the error on my crappy meter. But throttle floats at 4.75V? Can you measure the other board and see what you read?

Quote:
EDIT: also, it's an either-or setup. A pot resistor is needed to be added if you use that, and it must be removed if you use the hall effect.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Also, The only code is for field oriented control, which requires an encoder, and also requires that we go through the process of tuning the PI loop with a locked rotor, and then find the optimal rotor time constant before proceeding.
That's fine. I have not reached the part where the controller talks to my computer as yet.

Is TX, RX and GND on the connector the description of the pins from the dsPIC or the description of the pins that I put on my connector? TX and RX from the computer to the dsPIC obviously need to be switched to make it work .. right?

What baud rate is expected? I could not find that .. but I'm not great at finding things. 9600,n,8,1 did not get a response from the controller.

And is the 24V ground connected to the 5V ground on the controller? Can I make a converter for the encoder by supplying 24V and Gnd from the DC/DC to the encoder, then drop the A and B signals down to 5V with a simple resistor divider?

Hopefully I did not kill the control board