View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Still waiting on pics, but I did get word on the belt and it's not been replaced, neither has the water pump. I have estimates from the last car I checked for parts on and I might call again just encase prices have gone up.

I'm thinking if it's dents are small, like quarter-sized or hard to see, $2600 is a good offer. $2800 max, then with a timing belt replacement ringing in for nearly $600, I'll be paying $3200-$3400 total once I deal with maintenance.

I figure $3500 tops if there are seals or misc. things that need attention. I'm going from an aged and tired 15mpg 1987 supra to a 35-40mpg 2000 civic, so that sounds like a worthwhile change to save some cash and travel efficiently to business and pleasure destinations. My supra was hit, but I kept it dented, and the money from that insurance payout will fund 75% of the civic's purchase. It feels less painful that way.

Is there another car that isn't smaller than the HX with 35-40mpg efficiency I should look at? I've been avoiding hybrids for their batteries, and I dislike how many of them look. The insight is just too small for me, or I would have nabbed one a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
No AC or not working AC?
No AC and manual transmission means 95+% of purchasers are eliminated right there.
Clutch job would cost what I pay a year for gas in the Sentra, timing belt another 8 months.

regards
mech
Well I won't be paying $4k for one of these, so no worries on the gas/parts ratios. anything is better than a dying 1987 supra with a 15mpg dying breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Things that can trash a t-belt with little or no warning.

water pump
crank seal
cam seal
tensioner bearing

check for "interference" or "non interference" engines before you decide to test the life expectancy of a timing belt. Most Toyotas are free wheeling. Most Hondas are not.

Most interference engines are never worn out and I have seen pieces of pistons coming out of the oil pan when draining the oil on a $3500 300 ZX engine 20 years ago.

My advice to someone buying a vehicle with a timing belt.

Learn how to do it yourself, perfectly.
Never test the limit of recommended replacement
Pay special attention to the time limits of recommended replacement
Always replace any seal, bearing, or pump that can leak fluid on your brand new belt and turn your otherwise perfectly running, no oil consuming engine into a boat anchor.

Most manufacturers are getting away from timing belts, even though the life expectancies are increasing.

No Pruius or 1st gen Insight has one. No Echo or Yaris has one.

thanks Balto

regards
mech
Thanks mech, how's the water pump trash a timing belt? leak on it?

Good info thanks for your help!

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!