View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
jondoeclsm
EcoModding Lurker

Fiddling about with my kit car- some ideas.

Ok- so I own a kit car. Its called an Onyx Firecat. For years I couldny find a hard top, so in November I ended up having to buy an entire car... I will now sell my original car as sadly they are built slightly differently and the new car has a bar around the windscreen to make it stronger (good news with or without a hard top). The paint finish on the new car is less good, so chopping it around is less of a concern.

Less of an 'eco' car but it has lots of potential for that with its low weight but aerodynamically it could be better! It has a Fiat uno turbo engine and weighs 650Kgs.

I did a quick and very basic test the other day, one set of 'runs' from 4500 to 6000 revs with the hard top off and then with the hardtop on. I did the runs several times and chopped the results up on my video editing equipment, thus getting averaged times (although only accurate to the frame rate). This showed a half second difference between the two in favour of having a hard top on. Roughly speaking the time taken to get from one point to the other is 5 seconds, so to knock half a second off is great news.

Ok, so that's the introduction.

In this thread I hope to throw my crazy ideas out there and welcome the results. One idea, I dont think has been done before, but maybe with good reason!

I will add some pictures, but for reference I will add a video so you can see my original car (it had a soft top which is shown in the vid which has nothing to do with this). ***

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

I am too new to add a video- youtube search Onyx firecat rare

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jondoeclsm For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-28-2015), mcrews (04-05-2015)