View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #181 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Which one?

Checking MSRP for the 1960-65 Impalas, the base model pans out to about $19.7 to $20k in its cheapest year. (Other years, it comes out much higher) For a 135 (gross) horsepower four-door that hit 60 in over 16 seconds.

A Camry has roughly the same interior volume, has 178 horsepower (new SAE net, that would be around 200+ gross), and hits 60 mph in just over 8 seconds. And I'm pretty sure it gets over twice the fuel economy on more stringent EPA tests. And I do believe an automatic transmission, AC, infotainment, ABS and power windows and locks come standard.

(looking it up... keyless, cruise and power seats come standard, too.)

I'm pretty sure the extra $2k-$3k is justified... and can probably be eliminated by dumping the luxury kit.

-

Looking it up, you could get a V8 for not much more, but the 250-ish hp V8 is still slower than the I4 Camry.
Ok, my mistake. Impy started at just under $21k, inflation adjusted. I must have been looking at base models.

Still, you could get a brand-new, full-size Chevy in top trim level for $21k. A lot less than now. Something other than inflation accounts for that.

Another reason why I am not a fan of modern cars.

And why I'm building a REAL car next time, not a plastic-and-computer thing on wheels where people these days complain that their infotainment and other crap which really has nothing to do with motivating a car down the road, doesn't work properly.

Ugh.

Maybe I'll ditch the wagon after all and build that hairy little T roadster after all. No carpet, no radio, no heater, no worries.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17