View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
The subject of fluids will get you a wide array of opinions. I would suggest determining the OEM specification, and sticking to a fluid of that specification (unless you have a good reason not to) from a reputable brand. There are many high quality fluids brands out there, and I don’t really think any of them are truly significantly better than the others, so long as you are using the correct spec.

Me personally, for the engine I run Mobil 1 engine oil with a Wix oil filter for convenience of local purchase. For everything else, (differentials, transmission, transfer case) that doesn’t get changed often I get Amsoil fluids. Two of the biggest reasons I run Amsoil are that I like that Amsoil’s website gives you the specifications and amounts for your vehicle and that they tell you the viscosities of their fluids at different temperatures.

If you don’t already, definitely get a hand held oil transfer pump for adding the fluid to the differentials and transfer case.

Just in case you run into this, on my old truck the fluid I took out of the rear differential was nasty. It must have gotten water in it. If I put my good fluid right in, there would have been a lot of that mess in my new fluid. I wiped out as much as I could, but then to help “clean” the differential out, I filled it up with some engine oil (cheaper and I had it) and drove it around like that for a bit. Then when I re-drained the fluid the second time, it got most all the junk out so my good fluid wouldn’t be full of junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
101Volts (02-28-2015)