View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 AM   #190 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Ok, my mistake. Impy started at just under $21k, inflation adjusted. I must have been looking at base models.

Still, you could get a brand-new, full-size Chevy in top trim level for $21k. A lot less than now. Something other than inflation accounts for that.

Another reason why I am not a fan of modern cars.

And why I'm building a REAL car next time, not a plastic-and-computer thing on wheels where people these days complain that their infotainment and other crap which really has nothing to do with motivating a car down the road, doesn't work properly.

Ugh.

Maybe I'll ditch the wagon after all and build that hairy little T roadster after all. No carpet, no radio, no heater, no worries.
Again, though... it's worth noting that everything that came on the top of the line Impala V8 is already standard on the base Camry (which has the same amount of usable space, and remember, is actually faster than the V8 Impala). And the "base" Camry nowadays already has a lot of stuff you could never get on a 60's Impala.

It's often easy to take for granted what you get as standard with cars nowadays. While I would rather do without dual clutch transmission, fiddly direct injection and glitchy integrated infotainment systems that keep a car from starting when they crash, the amount of standard kit you can get on cars nowadays for very little money is astounding.

As long as you go for stuff that eschews variable geometry turbocharging, direct injection, dual clutches and CVTs, your typical modern car will last an easy 300,000 miles with little to no issue. And common electronic parts for these engines are pretty cheap.