View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
As Metro said, yes, Otto versus Attkinson cycle.

As someone on here told me, regenerative braking is still braking. This kind of gets us into the debate between coasting in-gear (DFCO) versus EOC. For my normal commute to work, I know that if I maintain the speed limit (40 mph, although my GPS shows 37), I need to start coasting two blocks before the intersection or I will need to brake. I can EOC or stay in-gear a little longer and hope DFCO kicks in. In a hybrid, the DFCO would regenerate, but also slow down faster, but isn't it more economical to time the light and never brake, regenerative or otherwise?

I actually do not think that hybrids are cost-effective long-term, but I want one anyway. I am not able to drive up to Mom's house regularly, but there are a few mountains in between. When people say things like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun View Post
Rip that junk off and trash it, before you kill somebody.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post370353, we execute a Palm Face maneuver and explain downshifting. I rarely need to use my brakes driving down mountains, but only if I stay below the speed limit; otherwise, engine braking drives revs to very high RPMs.

I only want a hybrid for mountain and canyon driving. Let me quietly use regenerative braking to give me a boost back up the hill. The rest of the time I will just try to plan well and avoid braking.