View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #54 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post

I saw my Insight struggle when I blew the fuse that controls the IMA battery.
Unlike the Prius the Insight can run without the hybrid system just like an ordinary car.
Well, a rather sluggish and not very economical car.
The relief of getting that fuse back in... It makes such a difference!
I cannot believe there should even be a debate about it.
Although I do not know enough about your insight to know for sure how yours runs, it sounds like the ICE and the electric motor work as a system. If you lost either the electric part or the ICE part, I would expect that your car would not perform as well as either a pure ICE, or a pure EV.

Having the ICE and the electric motor integrated as a system in a hybrid is what is making it hard for me to see if the technology really does add up. Apparently, the ICE is being used to charge the battery for the electric motor, but it is doing it at an an advantageous time. I don't know this for sure, but I do know that there is not enough regen energy available to supply enough energy to supplement the ICE enough to make up for what the ICE lacks in power. Using the ICE to supply energy for the electric motor does not make sense, but I am speculating that this is what is happening, and that it is happening at an advantageous time to minimize the penalty for doing it.