View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #74 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,187 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't think people have any idea what sort of car the Prius is. My mom keeps calling it a tiny car, and asks me what it's like driving the little thing. A Prius and a Fiesta aren't comparable vehicles. I could just as easily compare a moped and a Fiesta and then ask, why not get the moped that is $10k less expensive?

As already stated, the proper way to evaluate hybrid vs non-hybrid is by looking at models that have both options. Anyone trying to do wacky comparisons like a Fiesta to a Prius is being intentionally misleading, and really has no interest in knowing what the value of they hybrid components are.
So what about the article I posted before comparing the fiesta to the prius c? that is pretty even. Comparing the htbird version of the same car to the non-hybrid always looks better because they hide the cost of the hybrid with lots of other options and possibly even sell the hybrid at a loss on the back of the profitable normal version.
If you want a new car to go from A to B for the least impact on your wallet no hybrids are the best choice. I'm talking new and we are talking cars here. Talking about motorcycles and busses is the apples to oranges.