View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #211 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I loved my '85 Civic, which was very basic. It had seatbelts and safety glass but not much else.
But I would not take it to work, nor drive it with the wife and kids anymore.
I would choose safety equipment if I could half afford it.

Making safety stuff mandatory instead of optional allows them to be mass produced and preinstalled, so much cheaper.
Having freedom to choose them will raise the cost and put it out of reach for many.

When I started my professional career my colleagues had the freedom to choose whether they'd smoke behind their desks or not.
Sometimes I could hardly see the opposing wall of our tiny room.
When I got home I had to put my clothes in an airtight bag and shower, just to be able to eat my dinner without that overpowering smell.
I'm so glad to have the freedom to breath freely now.

One mans freedom is another mans chain.
I rather have airbags for chains than crutches.
If you think the safety stuff being mandatory has made safe cars affordable to all I think you should look at some of the cars made for other countries without it and how affordable they are. Those cars still are reasonably safe yet cost under $5000 brand new. I don't know any poor people that can afford any new car in America. They probably could if they cost $3000-$5000. As a plus those cars also get really good gas mileage compared to the 1/2 broken down 15 year old Ford they are priced into because of our great government saving them with tire pressure monitors, crumple zones, side impact bars, backup cameras, 6 airbags, etc. Etc. Etc.