View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #115 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Silent, except for the squeaking of the rusty chain. Rusty from all the salt
Replace that chain! It's cheaper than replacing the cogset.

I replaced my disgusting 9-spd chain a week ago. The weather is getting better but this chain is still going to get beat up before the salt washes away. Can't wait to ride the river again without getting stuck in deep snow.

For the hands, in real cold weather (0-20F) I use Bontrager glove liners, then cheap knit construction gloves (they give them out at road cleanups, etc), and on the outside, lightly insulated Pearl Izumi lobster gloves. That's pretty much the most extreme glove combo I use.

I also found that some cheap leather gloves from the local big-box store are very warm, and suitable in snow and rain down close to freezing temps, while keeping the water out. However, using them in too-warm weather generates sweat dampness from within, which can be even worse.

However, this is all assuming I'm riding more than two miles, because it can take that long for my body to warm up and start pumping blood to my fingers. Most people like to dress heavier but I mainly try to avoid sweating, especially in cold weather.

YRMV

Last edited by Sven7; 03-04-2015 at 03:41 PM..