View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #102 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I think a hybrid makes a lot of sense for regular drivers, especially in city driving. My parents are looking for a newer car, and I'm convinced the 2nd gen ('04-'09) Prius is the best option. They do a lot of city driving and don't hypermile. No non-hybrid will get even close to the Prius city MPG. Especially with an automatic. And at least around here, a used Prius doesn't seem more expensive than a similar-sized non-hybrid.

For hypermilers, I think most of the hybrid advantage doesn't apply. I averaged over 70 MPG last Summer in a '91 Civic Wagon. I don't think a Prius could do much better. But I'll try to prove myself wrong every chance I get!
"At least around here a used Prius doesn't seem more expensive than a similar sized hybrid"

If so then the additional cost of the hybrid components could offset the additional fuel cost of the nonhybrid option.

Once the hybrid battery warranties have expired right at the ten year mark, which happens to be the average age of vehicles on the road in the US today then the value of the hybrid plummets. Which would you rather have, a 2003 Prius or a 2003 Echo? Remember the new price difference was almost double the original price for the Echo, at least. Now how about the Echo and a 5000 GALLON gas card.

The highest Echo mpg in the garage here is high 60s or over 300k miles on that 5k gas card (price difference).

The Prius is not driveable with a bad hybrid battery and few (very few) hybrids beat that Echo's mileage. In my manual Echo 45-47was fairly easy without driving slower than most traffic.

regards
mech