View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #105 (permalink)
Gasoline Fumes
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
"At least around here a used Prius doesn't seem more expensive than a similar sized hybrid"

If so then the additional cost of the hybrid components could offset the additional fuel cost of the nonhybrid option.

Once the hybrid battery warranties have expired right at the ten year mark, which happens to be the average age of vehicles on the road in the US today then the value of the hybrid plummets. Which would you rather have, a 2003 Prius or a 2003 Echo? Remember the new price difference was almost double the original price for the Echo, at least. Now how about the Echo and a 5000 GALLON gas card.

The highest Echo mpg in the garage here is high 60s or over 300k miles on that 5k gas card (price difference).

The Prius is not driveable with a bad hybrid battery and few (very few) hybrids beat that Echo's mileage. In my manual Echo 45-47was fairly easy without driving slower than most traffic.

regards
mech
I was thinking about something a little newer. A 2007 Yaris with an auto (preferred, but not required) is rated at 29 MPG city. The same year Prius is rated at 48 city. The battery packs can be rebuilt. Or purchased rebuilt for $1000 with exchange. Another plus of the Prius is the versatility of a 5-door hatchback. Coming from a minivan, a small sedan is going to be disappointing. Next size up is a 2007 Toyota Matrix, but that gets only 25 MPG city. Even my neighbor's 2007 Honda Fit (5-speed manual) only gets 28 MPG city. If it was for me, I'd go with the Fit (for sale soon) and hypermile the wheels off it. But I think a Prius makes the most sense for my parents in a hilly city.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro