View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
DieZel
EcoModding Lurker

Easy Diesel Z swap

Im currently collecting the parts for my swap. So far I have a 81ZX, the engine, harness, intercooler, ecm, cluster, misc spare parts. The Engine is from a 01 engine code ALH 1.9l TDI. Im planning on having the ecm re flashed to eliminate the immobilizer and egr program. Eliminating the immobilizer means you don't need a VW key, reader coil or instrument cluster. Eliminating the egr program allows you to remove the egr valve, egr cooler and solenoid valve. The biggest benefit by removing the egr is not having the intake manifold plug up with carbon (very common tdi problem)

What I need to complete the swap;

Acme Adapters, adapter plate
Toyota 22r 5spd transmission
Custom drive line
Fuel Mods (Pump, lines, cooler)
Motor Mounts
Exhaust
Time and Money

I dont think the swap will be that difficult, once the engine bay is stripped and the mounts are correct then everything should bolt right in, plenty of room for intercooler piping, fuel filters, ect.

I think your fuel economy with the vw tdi would honestly bring you 60-70 mpg on the freeway, Ive been on Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community for a while and have seen people getting as much as 65 mpg in a 3000lb+ Jetta!

2100lb hypermiled tdi 240ZG 60, 70, 80mpg???
Mix a little propane in there to increase the combustion efficiency and a fuel/air separator, probably see another 10mpg