View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #110 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Pacifica Hybrid - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
90 day: 85.85 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,460 Times in 3,426 Posts
I just ran the numbers on a new base model Ford Fusion vs the base model Ford Fusion hybrid and found the break even point is around 11 years of ownership at current fuel prices. I also ran the numbers on a base model Honda Accord w/CVT vs a base Honda Accord Hybrid and found the break even point is 12 years. This assumes 12,000 miles per year.

However, on used cars the break even point is much shorter. Buy a 2010 Camry hybrid, and the price premium you pay over the base car will be made up in 6 years. Every year thereafter is profit.

I don't think hybrids make financial sense when buying a new car, but then buying any new car doesn't make financial sense. Used however is a different story. A used hybrid can make a lot of sense, especially given the fear people express here regarding battery replacement. Those very fears drive down the value of used hybrids, and that benefits the buyer.

In the end you have to buy the right tool for the job. If a person lives in an urban environment, owning any vehicle might not make financial sense. Many people in Portland forgo the high cost of owning a vehicle and just bike or MAX everywhere.

If low cost of ownership is among the most important criteria to you, then a pure EV makes all kinds of sense, especially if your family has 2+ cars.

I'm waiting for the Tesla Model S to depreciate to the $20k price point, but maybe by then other EVs will be more attractive. I'd like to give up my TSX for an EV, but dang if it wasn't so much fun to drive!

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Donahue (09-03-2015)