View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #117 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,414 Times in 3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Are you using EPA numbers?

Since this is a hypermiler forum, I think that's a mistake. Most of us can beat the EPA by 30-50% with a regular petrol car, looking at the garage hybrids beat the EPA by 10-15%.

PS I tried to use your spreadsheet, but while I can view it online, I've been unable to download it. Looks good though
Very good points. I am using EPA numbers, but that is because the average driver outside of this forum only achieves EPA efficiency. It's not fair to compare a hypermiler that has made substantial aero improvements to their vehicle, with a typical hybrid owner.

Part of the disagreement in this discussion is that the question "do hybrids make sense" doesn't address the question of who does it make sense to. Does it make sense to a new car buyer? Does it make sense to a hypermiler? Does it make sense to someone whose commute is 98% steady freeway cruising? Does it make sense for someone that only wants 2 seats and no utility?

All I can do is reiterate the importance of choosing the proper tool for the job. A 2-seater doesn't work for my wife and I because we have friends and family. At least one of the cars must have a gasoline engine because we go on long distance road trips. The vehicle needs to have usable cargo capacity because of our outdoor activities, and I want something that is relatively comfortable to sleep in. Good fuel economy and low cost of ownership is also important to me. All of these factors pointed to the Prius. I bought my 2012 Prius plug-in with 32,000 miles for $13,400.

I would never say that Old Mech is wrong for choosing to drive his old Sentra. I have no argument that he should buy a hybrid instead. It sounds like the right vehicle to satisfy his needs. He probably sees the lack of Bluetooth connectivity as an advantage. That said, I could equally not say that hybrids are always unreasonable options. For some people, it makes sense as well as cents.

Thanks for giving the spreadsheet a whirl. I'll see if I can fix it so that others can download it. Feedback is much appreciated.

EDIT:
I tested the link to the cost of ownership spreadsheet, and you should see the following when you click it. There is a button to download the spreadsheet.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-07-2015 at 05:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
user removed (03-07-2015)