View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #1756 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Serial cables

Cable 1 (modified)
Pin 5 on rs232 (9 pin) is yellow - gnd on right of control board
Pin 3 on rs232 (9 pin) is red - RX in middle of control board
Pin 2 on rs232 (9 pin) is brown - TX on left of control board

Cable 2
Pin 5 on rs232 (9 pin) is black - gnd on right of control board
pin 2 on rs232 (9 pin) is white - RX in middle of control board
pin 3 on rs232 (9 pin) is red - TX on left of control board

These are set up to function as a null modem if I connect them together through a 3 pin male - male header. But they also try the control board both ways for TX and RX.

2 laptops running hyperterminal at 38,400 n 8 1 with no handshaking display properly on the opposite screens. That is - type on newer laptop and it shows on older laptop display. Type on older laptop and it shows up on newer laptop display.

Using my main laptop (not leviathon) windows 7 - and a recent USB to serial adapter, and cable 1, type may returns to the controller. No response. The serial converter has an LED for tx (green) and an LED for rx (yellow). No yellow LED lit for rx.

Cycle power to the controller with hyperterminal already connected and online. No echo, no response. Check at 9600 ... for no reason. No response.

Remove the PICkit 3 and try again at 38400. No response.

Check that it still works with the other laptop at 38,400. Yes.

Check cable 2 - same test.

Again, green LED shows transmit but no yellow LED for rx.

Again, verify that the two laptops still talk at 38400, one cable on each with a 3 pin male - male header between. Yes.

I think with all of the messing around I did that I blew up the serial port on the control board.

If anyone can think of something else for me to try - please do!