View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 AM   #129 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
We also know that a aeromodded Suzuki/Metro can match an Insight in the right hands.
Ask Darin how much time, money and effort it took him to get the numbers he's pulling in his Metro. That's a labor of love he's got going on there, or you'd see twenty Metros/Swifts pulling that kind of mpg. I came within a couple miles a gallon of his average my first tank just driving my Insight, no mods necessary, and I carpool mine.

Quote:
Suzuki Swift 1.0 cost in 2000 $14k (locally).
Gen 1 Insight cost $40K (locally).
That statement is pretty much irrelevant on this site. How many of us actually drive new cars here? I wonder what the average cost of a vehicle is on this site?

Quote:
Like I said, 1st Gen owners have a really skewed perspective on this issue.
I bought my car for the exact purpose it was built for: to use as a two-person commuter car and to get the best gas mileage imaginable without sacrificing anything. I carpool it almost daily, drive it moderately, and without the first mod I get better gas mileage than almost anybody on this site (a site dedicated to raising your mpgs). I match traffic without slowing everybody down around me. It's 14 years old but looks almost new. It only has 112K miles on it, so I should conceivably be able to drive it another ten years.

If I hadn't done the research and weighed all my options, I would still be driving the Black Widow, getting ten less miles a gallon that hard way with no AC, forced to take back roads to P&G, etc . . . . . Not sure where you think my perspective as an Insight owner is skewed, the car perfectly matches my driving needs.