View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
cosmick
Experienced UAW Mechanic

Quote:
2"x2"x1/4" is way overkill. You're building a lightweight car not a truck! No more than 1''x14g tube is going to be needed and probably less than that.
You can do yours however you feel safe. Me, I see that new mass produced cars are designed to have a rigid occupant enclosure with crush zones before and aft. But the bumpers themselves mustn't crush. (State law for DIY vehicles.) So I can do likewise. Besides, the thinner the steel, the more difficult to weld.

Quote:
Pure strength is not enough for safety (if that is the aim). You need crush space to provide the distance needed to reduce an impact acceleration. The frame just has to react that acceleration.
Which is why I already stated that the overkill steel isn't for the entire chassis.

Quote:
Rather than mess with adaptor plates a single engine and transaxle would be easier.
When did I ever care about easy? Easy doesn't show off my abilities to get my next career going. There are already enough experts specializing in turbo 4s of every make.

Quote:
Why build a chassis at all? If you can live with a single seat an older formula racer might provide the basis for a road car. I know there was a guy in Japan who registered an F3000 chassis for road use there. I'm sure that it has been done many times. Ford (Europe) has even done it:
Again, this is showing what is possible for cheap, and making it safe. Enough that I'd be comfortable letting anyone drive it anywhere, anytime.

Quote:
1 liter displacement plus boost, light weight (485kg).
Build yours however you want.