View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
cosmick
Experienced UAW Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I know, right? Here ya go:

What is the tire size again?
Why the fourth tire behind the third?

Also, I don't understand this increasing the frontal area to get a big round bubble. I don't see much of this at the B'ville salt flats.

I'm trying to find a set of narrow 17" wheels I like, for when the 315/35R17s are inappropriate. To use the 17x11" wheels I need to end up with a 5 on 120.65 mm lug pattern, which is possible by adapting the front hubs from a 4X4 S-10 mini-pickup, which has been done before, but without good plans for copying. Getting the M2 hubs with that pattern is easy. But narrow 17" wheels with that pattern are not turning up in that pattern. Nor 18". Nor 19".
I could plug weld the hubs, drill and tap them for dual lug patterns, then use lug bolts instead of lug studs with lug nuts. This used to be common on trailers and on early Mazda RX-7s.
I'm insisting on 17" or larger so I can fit some impressively overkill-large brakes. Costs the same as puny brakes, so may as well ensure they never fade from boiling the fluid.
I think many of you are economy to the exclusion of performance, I've always been performance to the exclusion of economy, but as I near turning 39, I'm not as hardcore as when I was 18.
I've started some sketches, I'll post them in the next few days.
Please keep the ideas, comments, and questions coming.