Thread: side-cameras?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Could you link the wal-mart thing? I'm interested.

I've also been thinking about this a lot lately, and I hope that yahya will chime in since I know he's looked into it. I tried searching on insightcentral but it seemed to no avail, *shrug*
IC is not the greatest place to look for mods. Its great for bragging about MPG though

I never did it due to funds, but the model I checked into was a RoadMaster VR3 back up camera. The newest one comes with a 3.5" color LCD screen. You won't be able to count the paint chips on the car next to you but you'll be able to tell its there. Lens is a fish eye setup and its integral to the cam. I didn't see it as too much of a down side as I use my mirrors to get an overall view of my surroundings not as blind spot checking. Its got an RF range of around 20ft and is capable of transmitting over a couple of channels so you could run two at once. The LCD plugs into your 12v and the cam you splice into your back up lights or some 12v source. Since the receiver is mounted in the LCD and the cams are going to be used as mirrors, you are talking about a receiver-transmitter distance of 8ft tops, so the signal should be more than strong enough.

Legally out here in Cali you need your rear view and your driver side mirror. Never really been bothered about it in the Jeep and from what I have heard, you just need them where they should be, whether they are actually functional isn't that big of a deal.