View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 AM   #142 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Yeah... I can't recall any modern diesel that doesn't have direct injection.
There are some in India, and still comply to their Euro-4 equivalent. Peugeot also had an Euro-3 naturally-aspirated IDI but it was already phased out. Nissan still makes the TD27, Toyota the 5L-E, and Mitsubishi offers IDI versions of the 4D56 for markets with less-stringent emission standards, mostly in Africa and Latin America (Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia).

Quote:
I think it would be possible to run a veggie burner with direct injection... you simply have to have extra injectors for lubrication and for particulate filter regeneration.
I guess you might remember the Elko Multifuel 3-cyl semi-adiabatic turbodiesel which was presented in early-80s. It was even tested in Brazil with many vegetable oils, has also been tested in Malaysia with palm oil, and a license was issued to the Soviet Union. It got close to serial production in Brazil in late-80s, and Volkswagen was even considering to replace the boxer with the Elko in the Kombi, but the local licensee started getting financial problems by then and bankrupted in '99...