View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #144 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
I think that 90% is an large exaggeration... the BSFC for the vehicles in your signature would make that nearly impossible ... plus you can't be in the peak ICE BSFC point for any of the time you are in EOC coasting .. which I suspect is more than 10% of the time ... the two (Peak BSFC and EOC) are mutually exclusive... and you can't be in peak BSFC point at several vehicle speeds you have to travel at while doing your P&G (the RPM won't line up).
And I suppose the hybrids operate at BSFC while EOCing? All I know is my engine is either at 80-100% load of it's off. It might not technically be BSFC but high load is efficient even if the RPM is off.

Quote:
Not in equally skilled hands ... In Equally skilled hands the Gen1 will do better than the Suzuki/Metro (even with Aeromods)
My Fiat 500 returns 50mpg without any EOC or hybird or anything. Just a small turbo engine and a manual gearbox - A/C on, still giving it a bit of a thrashing as appropriate, and even sharing the driving 30% with a non-hypermiler. It's CD is 0.36. I dare say that if this engine were simply slotted into an aerodynamic light weight Insight body, it would return numbers in the 70's.

Quote:
Unless you have an example of a (non-PHEV) AeroModed Metro getting better than 164MPG on one tank of gas over a long distance like the 2,254 Miles as was done with the Gen1 Insight.?? And that was with AFAIK only a FAS mod for P&G ... Spend an equal amount of time and money (as you did modding the metro Aero) instead into improve the Gen1 Insight and it could get even better than that 164MPG 2,254 Mile run.
I'll happily admit I haven't heard of this feat, but looking at the garage, most of you guys are in the mid 60's. In fact I expect my Fiat to be in that range soon (if you look at my log you'll notice there's been a huge improvement as the engine runs in - a known idiosyncrasy of the Twinair engine).