View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #453 (permalink)
awillard69
EcoModding Apprentice

Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota Club Cab, Sport
90 day: 18.57 mpg (US)

Jeep - '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
90 day: 18.46 mpg (US)
Yes, post #1 contains the shopping list and DCB keeps the code listing current. Direct any questions to him if you have a specific concern.

I went down the path of the serial Freeduino v2.0 from NKC Electronics. Since I didn't want a spaghetti mess for everything (LCD, buttons, interface components, etc.) hanging on the 'duino, I opted for the proto shield. All the connections are passed through so it was a sweet choice for a plug-n-go design.

I can pull the 'duino from the proto shield and use it in another project, if needed.

Also, there was some early concern with blowing the 'duino board, so transferring a bunch of individual connections wasn't my idea of progress. You can see my earlier attempt at the modularity somewhere in this thread's history. It turned out that I was trying to create what the proto shield already had.

The shopping list is the minimum, and yes, the proto shield does add to the cost, but it's a better choice in the long run, for my situation anyway. That is, short of a more compact all-in-one setup, like the one to put all the circuitry on a single PCB.

How much does it cost? Well, for me, here is my list, maybe others can add theirs:

Freeduino, serial v2.0: 16.99
Proto shield: 11.99
LCD 9.99
Enclosure 2.99
------------------------------
Total 41.96

This is not counting the buttons, connectors, hookup wire, heat shrink tubing, solder and any other items I had laying around or managed to scrounge/scavenge/beg/borrow/steal.

As you can see, opting out of the proto shield and enclosure can cut the cost almost in half. I like the neatness of the enclosure, myself, and the shield was a natural.