View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #217 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
They import a Japanese built 2004 Acura RSX US$20,025, add taxes and duties and currency conversion, becomes AU$37,950, the local list price.

They import a Japanese built 2004 G1 US$18,980, add taxes and duties and currency conversion, at the same percentage, it should become AU$35,969.

Somehow, there's an extra AU$12,930 tacked on by Honda Australia.
Progress:
Thanks for admitting to Australia's penalty of at least a minimum of $16,989 (an 85% Australia penalty) .. That Australia added to the I1 price.

Now .. if you would be so kind ... Please site your source .. if you have one ... that it was Honda that did that much ($12,930) of the rest .. and not Australia?

We already have proven data showing Australia has in other cases imposed a financial penalty on some vehicles by ~300% MSRP.

We have evidence of Australia doing this already on more than one occasion.

What evidence do you have that this time (with the I1) is an exception ... that this time (unlike those others) ... it was not Australia adding that $12,930 ?

Quote:
I will continue to put this down to the car being unprofitable at the ~$36k price.
And what about the $18-$19k paid by other markets that didn't impose as much of a penalty as Australia did?

Is it also unprofitable to the Australian who was going to by a $36k car anyway ?? ... By all means ... Tell me what $36k (in Australia) car gets better MPG (driven same conditions) ? .. I don't know of any that do... not even at $36k.

Quote:
Taxes or duties or whatever cannot account for the difference
Why not?

There are other examples we've already seen of that very kind of thing adding even more than this to the price... What is the source of your thinking it did not also happen in this case?

Quote:
the Insight should have a lower tax and duty burden if the US price is any guide.
I agree Australia should have penalized the I1 less than they did... even the 85% Australian penalty would have been excessive.