View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
calculations

I don't believe that there are any numerical tools which exist which can be exploited for your project.
Thinking out loud:
*I'm not certain that the C.P. would move at all
*You,your riding position, and your riding apparel must be factored into 'equation'
*What you obtain at zero-yaw will not be reflected in crosswind and gust
*The air you 'rob' with the scoop denies kinetic energy to the exterior flow field and could trigger premature separation downstream.
*Outside of aeronautical applications,there's very little data on the success of passive boundary layer control.Typically,useful volumes of air necessary to augment wing performance requires an external power source for either suction or blowing.
*A determination would have to made as whether to provide suction or blowing to achieve the desired effect
*Internal duct wall boundary surface friction will reduce flow to some degree
*The ducting discharge nozzles would have to be modeled and optimized for 'effects'
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's an interesting proposal and I can see where you're trying to get to.I feel like you'd need to construct maybe a 1/5-scale model and get it into something like Cal Tech's GALCIT wind tunnel and let the grad students tear into the research.
I don't think CFD can do what you need except as a full-scale proposition and Direct Numerical Simulation.Too many researchers have reported on the shortcomings of CFD programs short of DNS.The cost would be enormous also.
And you'd be required to provide the CAD mesh for you and the scooter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A copy of Sighard Hoerner's book,AERODYNAMIC DRAG will have drag tables for any shape you can imagine including the scoops,wings.
Abbott and Von Doenhoff's Theory of Wing Sections will have some segmented wing data.
Hermann Schlicting's book on Boundary Layer Theory will have stuff on blown and suctioned wing sections.
BamZipPow (03-17-2015), mikeyjd (03-18-2015)