View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cycle
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I don't believe that there are any numerical tools which exist which can be exploited for your project.
Thinking out loud:
*I'm not certain that the C.P. would move at all
It should move rearward and lower, given that we're taking some of the air that would otherwise be acting on the windward side of the bike and transferring it high on the opposite side of the bike.

Quote:
*You,your riding position, and your riding apparel must be factored into 'equation'
I'm going to try to take as much of that out of the equation as possible by having the body faired. I'm thinking along the lines of some material that can bend outward when I put my feet out to balance, but it won't be allowed to bend inward due to air pressure. The rest would be fully faired up to shoulder height.

Quote:
*What you obtain at zero-yaw will not be reflected in crosswind and gust
There should be no net effect on CoP in straight-line riding. But when riding into a side wind, I'm hoping to make it so the effect of that side loading is reduced.

Quote:
*The air you 'rob' with the scoop denies kinetic energy to the exterior flow field and could trigger premature separation downstream.
Hadn't thought of that. Would it be a bad thing to 'rob' air from under the bike? It wouldn't be the totality of the air being pushed under the bike, but enough to lessen the moment of torque that tries to lift the front wheel. The scoop would also prevent that turbulent air being thrown off the front wheel from being sent under the bike, thus keeping what air does flow under there better attached. Wouldn't it?

Quote:
*Outside of aeronautical applications,there's very little data on the success of passive boundary layer control.Typically,useful volumes of air necessary to augment wing performance requires an external power source for either suction or blowing.
*A determination would have to made as whether to provide suction or blowing to achieve the desired effect
The front wheel spinning will tend to act as that 'external power source' to ram air into the scoop, as will the forward motion of the bike. I intend to smoothly reintroduce the redirected air into the airstream higher and more rearward such that it doesn't create turbulence. Not quite sure how, though... do NACA ducts work well in reverse (air flowing out)?

Quote:
*Internal duct wall boundary surface friction will reduce flow to some degree
Yeah, they'll have to be surfaced to prevent laminar flow along the duct walls. Something akin to Power Lynz or similar might do it.

Quote:
*The ducting discharge nozzles would have to be modeled and optimized for 'effects'
Definitely. I have no idea *how* I'll be reintroducing the redirected air smoothly back into the airstream rearward and higher on the bike, but there must be some way of doing it.

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's an interesting proposal and I can see where you're trying to get to.I feel like you'd need to construct maybe a 1/5-scale model and get it into something like Cal Tech's GALCIT wind tunnel and let the grad students tear into the research.
I don't think CFD can do what you need except as a full-scale proposition and Direct Numerical Simulation.Too many researchers have reported on the shortcomings of CFD programs short of DNS.The cost would be enormous also.
And you'd be required to provide the CAD mesh for you and the scooter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A copy of Sighard Hoerner's book,AERODYNAMIC DRAG will have drag tables for any shape you can imagine including the scoops,wings.
Abbott and Von Doenhoff's Theory of Wing Sections will have some segmented wing data.
Hermann Schlicting's book on Boundary Layer Theory will have stuff on blown and suctioned wing sections.
Thanks for the references. I'll check them out.