View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cycle
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydave View Post
damn! that's alot of work for a scooter! ill be watching this one!
Heh, yeah, it's a bit overboard, I'll admit. But I love this bike, it's got plenty of power, it's cheap (the bike only cost $4000 brand new (delivered to my doorstep from the dealer, since I had just had foot surgery and couldn't ride it home at the time), insurance is only $78/year, a fuel-up is around $10), it's a factory-stroked Honda GY6 engine so there are plenty of aftermarket parts for it, I can swap in different cylinders for a larger or smaller bore, it's a simple bike so working on it and fabricating parts for it isn't intimidating, and the thing's never given me any problems. If this bike gets wrecked, I can scavenge parts and drop them onto a similar bike, so the parts and my inventions I'll be using on this bike aren't limited to just this bike and this engine.

With the friction reduction and aerodynamic body, it should make for a quick, fast and economical bike. I see GhostRider on YouTube, with his 500 HP Hayabusa and I think, "Man, who needs that much power unless they've got a deathwish?! That's as much HP as most semi tractors have!" Even stock bikes nowadays are over 200 HP. That's insane. I'll have 1/10th the power (~20 HP), and I'll still hit half the speed they do, which is plenty fast. Even stock, this bike'll do 79 MPH (the speedo on this model has proved to be very accurate against GPS) on a good day with conditions just right, and 75 on any day... so getting it up to 107 MPH with aerodynamic mods shouldn't be too difficult.

I believe the real key to making the bike not only fuel efficient when I want it to be, but fast off the line and with a good top speed when I want, is that toroidal infinitely variable transmission.

But Nuvinci doesn't sell their Delta series IVT to end consumers. I gotta figure out how to get my hands on one.

Anyway, the latest is that the new rear gears that Jan Vos (an ecomodder.com forum member) cut for me are now shipped off to MicroBlue Racing for micro-polishing and tungsten sulfide coating. And the new head is shipped off to Baisley Hi-Performance so they can use it as a template to get the geometry correct for the new roller lifters.

Last edited by Cycle; 03-18-2015 at 11:17 PM..