View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #238 (permalink)
KFM
EcoModding Lurker

Terminator - '00 Honda Insight Base
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 72.78 mpg (US)

High Voltage - '12 Chevrolet Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 108.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
In my case, I don't think I've actually saved much money on gas since I got my Insight, because I've driven a lot more. $60 to drive from Florida to California makes the trip a lot more palatable than $140 in my previous car. $4 to visit my father (165 miles) vs $10 means I'll do it nearly twice as often.
That's one of the things that I love about this car. I'll probably end up spending more on gas than I did in my Accord because of it ( heads-up, because I didn't know this when I bought it ). My wife and I took our first trip in it last week, and there's just something exciting about packing two people and their stuff ( not to mention the Tetris game of trying to fit the stuff you bought on the trip in, too ) in a little two seater and just driving to wherever. It took me about 45 minutes longer than Google Maps said when we went on a 200 mile trip, but we were actually enjoying the lower speed and getting to see all of the scenery around us while people flew by on the left and right. Plus, on that entire trip, I didn't get honked at one time. In my Accord, other drivers would honk, and yell, and cut me off, but in the Insight people most likely just sigh as they move over to the other lane to pass.

The value you get out of the Insight depends on what you put value on. It will probably not work out economically, especially if it causes you to drive more, unnecessarily. But to me, it's a pleasure to drive when surrounded by people, or when no one else is around, plus, the car basically hypermiles itself. This has become my favorite car I've ever owned, and for me, this is one for the long haul.

Last edited by KFM; 03-18-2015 at 05:46 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KFM For This Useful Post:
cowmeat (03-19-2015), Ecky (03-18-2015), SpartyBrutus (04-17-2015), user removed (03-19-2015)