View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostealth View Post
. . . In Texas there is a stretch of turnpike where the posted limit is 85 MPH and we could easily test 90 MPH out. A 100 MPH test would be nice to start forming a good graph curve. We think the engine would be in a very efficient place at 120 MPH but my current tires and limiter would not allow me to reach that speed. P.S. At 85 MPH my RPMs were 2,050.
IH10 is better than IH20 for this. Far less traffic and better road surfaces.
There are also some bad stretches between Gillespie County and Fort Stockton as to crosswinds. I'll try and make notes of the longer, better sections per mile markers next time. The final ten miles westbound into Fort Stockton from MM 270 on a downhill, to the 259B exit for Monahans is almost absolutely flat.

Try the high octane coffee there at the Flying J.

You might also consider a CB radio. A roof mounted Larsen NMO 27 or Wilson 5000 antenna, and a Cobra 29 with bigger finals by Clays Radio Shop in San Antonio (X582, at the Petro) with a Roadking 56 mike will get you heard. A Cobra 500 DSP external speaker will aid greatly. You can also mail order something a little nicer from BELLs CB (schottky mods).

I can easily converse 10 miles or better if the other operator has a decent radio out west of JNunction. And hear farther. Which matters if knowing what Joe Law is about at that moment.

Folks have next no idea how useful is a CB. A clean, no noise install using amateur radio guidelines (and covering underside of that Aerolid with McMaster-Carr sourced copper foil, would make a great rig) and it's an altogether different beast than what us oldsters remember from the 1970s.

From Ozona west can be a pretty good concentration of LEO usually working as task forces. Not many smokey reports these days, but you'll usually get an answer as this stretch can feature drivers out at the edge of their legal hours.

Last edited by slowmover; 03-18-2015 at 08:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-18-2015)