View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsworld View Post
So I was reading an article about tiny homes (one of my other interests), and saw a picture that instantly made me think of golf ball dimples...

Would the holes in the material, along with the smooth edge of the material lead to a similar golf ball dimple situation?

The backsides of some of these have bumps, so they aren't holes but pockets.

It's for drainage and hydrostatic barriers, or some such architectural/engineering technical mumbo-jumbo that I didn't follow. But they are made of plastics, rubbers, and high impact polystyrene, depending on application. Miradrain is one of the companies/brands for this stuff, and that's who's product is in the pictures above.

I haven't been able to find exact dimensions on this stuff, but it appears as if the plastic core of the product is around 10mm thick (for the shiny mettalic one above). So perhaps you could shave off the bumps on the back side bringing it down to like 3mm, and then use something like vinyl to attach it to the surface of the roof, rear pillars, and rear quarters? Or even better, to your belly pan?? Or would these be too small to achieve the same result as golf ball dimples? I know that dimples on the bottoms of the newer VW's, Audi's, and Lexus' have much bigger fist sized dimples on their belly pans.

I look forward to your thoughts.

~C
*The issue would be a 'one-size-fits-all' booby-trap.
*I can see how the material could function as a turbulator,but each particular vehicle would have to be analyzed for boundary layer thickness at the proposed application sites.
*Vortex-generators might preform better,and there are at least three different kinds of those,and their sizing,spacing,and location are critical to their best success.
*The crenelations and deformations underneath modern cars bellys are a function of laminate sandwiching manufacturing,principally for sound-deadening.They don't require dimples for a turbulent boundary layer if they're going 20-mph or faster.
*The un-dimpled golf balls small size and limited Reynolds number due to the limited 110-mph club velocity pretty much guarantees a laminar boundary layer,high separation,large wake,and high drag,compared to to the dimpled balls turbulent boundary layer,reduced separation,smaller wake,smaller drag.
*We have to bear in mind that a car is so large,that at regular driving speeds,they are already fully immersed in a TBL.
BamZipPow (03-20-2015), California98Civic (03-20-2015), ChazInMT (03-20-2015), chillsworld (03-19-2015), mikeyjd (03-20-2015), niky (03-20-2015), Xist (03-20-2015)