View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Chrysler kid
5 pin sensor

Zippy - '96 Honda Civic Hx
Team Honda
90 day: 40.77 mpg (US)

Boring - '11 Ford Fusion Sel
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Chrysler kid, that was me that put the VX Transmission into my HX. Yes, it did completely screw lean burn in fifth gear. Hence why I told OP to down his tire size if he went with a VX Transmission.

OP, lean burn in the D16Y5 will only engage above 2600rpm, no exceptions. This is why I told you VX tans +RE92'S are your best bet at success with your quest for MPG. The VX trans will lower your RPM, but the Re92's will offset the lower gearing, improve your city acceleration and give you lower rolling resistance. If you go Taller gearing, go 3.73, nothing lower unless your going to go Re92's. I almost wanna say 3.73's with RE92'S would be the best combination, but testing or some math would be required to know what speed 70mph would be.
2300 rpms' for this little 96 lean burner, it will enter lean burn at 55mph with a steady foot and then be very easy to get back into at 52mph. I've been thinking my cheap little short ram intake actually helps get into lean burn easier because the exposed filter element does not restrict air flow like a stock air box with the air silencer. Only have a vacuum gauge and my speedo reads about 3% over actual, I'll hook up my scanner this week to get exact numbers but it's pretty easy to tell when I'm in or out of lb with the vacuum gauge. My modifications are the s40 LSD trans, iridium plugs, and no name short ram intake. No fuel additives or grille blocks

I've never seen lean burn in 4th gear I believe that is a pure myth

What I really want to know is if the hx cvt ecu has speed restrictions programmed into it, if not the federal cvt trans ecu would let you lean burn in every gear

My 1998 hx would need to be at 65 mph and I was getting 38 mpg with 50/50 highway city. Yuck, that was with cheapo Walmart tires

My civic thread

Last edited by Chrysler kid; 03-20-2015 at 08:40 PM..