View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 01:59 AM   #49 (permalink)
EVmetro
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgrockefeller View Post
I'm interested in turning one of my CRX into a similar machine. Where did you buy these batterys? May I asked what you likely spent on the build for controller, batteries, motor, single adaptor? I'm hoping I can do this for $3500
The crx would make a fantastic conversion. As far as budget goes, you can convert a car for $3500, but you would have to make a lot of sacrafices. The forkenswift project on this forum is a really cool project the way it was built on such a small budget, and it was one of several budget conversions that inspired me as I was learning. I have done several conversions now, but they have been built to pretty high standards that required a bigger budget. The batteries were the biggest purchase on this rig, 36 batteries x $250, for $9k, followed by the motor and controller combo at $4k. The charger was another $2200, and the bms was around $1200. There were a lot of other items that probably added up to around $5k, and then there was a lot put into restoring the chassis, suspension, and interior. The restoration work was not really essential, but in my case it was important for the finished product that I was after.

This particular build certainly is above and beyond the $3500, but i would not get too discouraged about that. EV conversions are kinda like hot rods where you might be able to rattle one together for $1000, but it is easy to spend $100,000 or even more. I love beautiful cars, but deeply admire a build like the forkenswift as well. I saw somebody's build thread one time, and the subtitle read "built, not bought". That really struck home in my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (03-22-2015)