View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
C-REX
John

C-REX - '84 Honda CRX
90 day: 48.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPaulCPxx View Post
Two sites for CRX specific information:
CRX Community Forum • Index page for all CRX info... you can look up some rebuilding articles I posted awhile back.
Portal - Red Pepper Racing has 1st Gen (84-87) specific information.

I've rebuilt a couple CRX, and cut a couple down for parts: The main thing you need to look out for first is RUST in two main areas:
1 - Front Jack points. On the 1st gens, most of the water that got into the frame drained through a hole right in the front jack point (behind the front wheels). Unfortunately, this area is both a drain AND structural center point... and it gets eaten out by rust. It's not uncommon to not have front jack points, as they have so deteriorated that the jack has gone through them at some point. To this day, the first thing I look at on a 1st gen is the jack points!

2 - Seat Belt mounts. While scrapping a non-working car that had sat in a driveway for a year, I made an unpleasant discovery. While maneuvering around the inside of the car, I grabbed the drivers seat belt to pull myself up... and it came out of the floor. The belt was still firmly anchored in the threads in the floor mount, but the mount had rusted out of the floor!
seat belt mounts!? could that be where my puddle materialized from? is there any sorta drainage running threw that region of the car? I wouldn't think so but I am unsure.