View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I bought into the high MPG diesel truck hype. Heard plenty of stories about getting over 20 MPG with a couple of mods and massive 4x4 trucks. I got a 2005 Duramax with Allison, tried some of the tricks for MPG and didn't go crazy with the power. It did have all the power I would every want or use but it never came close to getting good economy. I came to realize the owners were talking about very short specific MPG claims usually from the overhead. Then you take into account that diesel is $2.80/gal and gas is $2.10 here even if you could average 20 mpg on the highway a gas truck only needed to get 15 mpg for the same cost per mile. I looked at diesel Excursions but think realistically you wouldn't break 20 MPG very often even with $4000 in add ons. My gas SUV gets 18 MPG (that's hand calculated 70 mph, 300 miles, over two mountain passes in 30 degree temps on winter fuel) with no add ons and with the price difference in fuel that is like the diesel getting 28. It can't tow as much and is not as big but I don't need that much space or towing ability. 7 passengers and 8500# towing is plenty for me. Plus the ride on my Aspen is much better then any Excursion I have ever been in. The 2008 Aspen was $11,300 with 140K on it, better price then the few diesel Excursions we could find as well. They are the king if you need the room or ability to tow a massive trailer, I also just don't believe 32 MPG real world long distance unless it was 10 feet off the back of a semi-truck at 65.