View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #43 (permalink)
DaGuru
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich77 View Post
I'm coming into this "conversation" rather late since I've never owned a diesel but I'm currently considering buying an Excursion. I'm indifferent to the 6.0 versus 7.3, so what do any of you recommend? Which is more prone to issues, easier / harder to fix commonly known issues? What are your recommendations for upgrades to improve mileage and what are the associated costs per configuration? I'm looking for a good long distance vehicle to haul a family of five and eventually a camper.
If you come across a blown 6.0 for pennies on the dollar, you can make it bullet proof and reduce some of the maintenance costs for around 8-10K. That being said, you can expect to knock off at least that much making the purchase. Since most for sale will be running, you're better off to look for a 7.3. Pre-2001 and some early 2001 will have forged piston rods, which if you plan to go over 500HP, would be a very good idea. Newer models have PMRs and those have a history of breaking under big power.

As others have mentioned about towing with the Ex, Ford designed the Ex to be a mom-mobile. Thus, it had to fit into a standard garage. To accomplish this, they went with weaker leaf springs (pre 2002/3, which have coils). These springs will begin to droop within the first 50K miles. We bought our Ex at 96K miles and the frame was resting on the bump stops. This is part of where the initial mileage benefit came from. Now, Ford would have done better to have gone with a better spring pack and a spring-under design, but that's water under the bridge. On any used <=2001 model, if the springs are still stock, plan on replacing them. To use it as a tow vehicle, a modified rear B code pack will work for a fairly light trailer, but anything of any size, I'd suggest adding bags or look into a straight super duty rear spring and add the overload horns to the frame.

For stopping, the stock rotors are weak... I went with PowerSlot rotors with Hawk pads. My diesel show sells a "big brake" package that changes out the whole assembly that doubles the number of hydraulic actuators to the caliper. Expensive, but they can get the job done very well.

I'm seeing used stock or mostly stock 7.3 Excursions going for anywhere from 8 - 15K. So, for a 20K or under investment, you can build a truck that will last a very long time. I'm at only 235K miles and she's still going strong. In fact, with the tuner set to extreme mode, she'll still leave the line smoking the tires. Exhaust blow-by is within expectations and Nothing rattles like I've seen on Dodge and Chevy with many fewer miles.