View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I read the Science Daily article because I wanted to see what other benefits accrue. It turns out the [only the second] second benefit is not needing to run air conditioners in the city:

Quote:
In the paper, Li and his colleagues take a wider view to find new positives for plug-ins. Conventional vehicles and air conditioners are the two biggest contributors to the heat island intensity -- the difference between urban temperatures and the cooler temperatures of rural areas. In that arena, electric vehicles are cooler -- giving off only about 20 percent of the heat a gas vehicle emits.

The researchers used Beijing in summer of 2012 to calculate that switching vehicles from gas to electricity could reduce the heat island intensity by nearly 1 degree Celsius. That would have saved Beijing 14.4 million kilowatt hours and slashed carbon dioxide emissions by 11,779 tons per day, according to the paper "Hidden Benefits of Electric Vehicles for Addressing Climate Change."
I was hoping for more and other benefits. Here is a link to Under the Dome:

A 1° drop in temperature is small potatoes, when people are dropping dead from 'fog'.