View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
DarkXoa
Modder status:Noob Saibot

The Aquajet - '95 Saturn SL1
Team Saturn
90 day: 40 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
DarkXoa, can you clarify? "Looking for an EV " but posting in the hybrid section...
Sorry, I should've titled this thread, "looking for a HEV with a manual tranny"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Does an ev with only one gear qualify as a "manual" or an "automatic" in your book? FYI, the prius only has one gear too.
It's not a manual to me unless it has a clutch pedal and a shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I used to hate auto trannies in general and CVT's in particular for the shift latency and high rotating mass.
On accelerating the engine is speeding up the gearbox at first instead of the car.
I wanted the direct response that a manual provides.
Didn't know that... Thanks for the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I don't know your experience, maybe you have driven a hybrid and disliked the tranny.
But if you only driven non-hybrid autos give it a spin.
Maybe you'll end up owning a car you'd never thought you would, just like me.
I've only ever driven my friend's '05 Prius. I didn't have any more problems with it than I have ever had with any other automatic.
My experience with automatics is this: when put behind the wheel of a car with a manual gearbox, I am in tune with the road. I, personally, believe that automatic transmissions cause drivers to become lazy simply because it frees up some of the attention that the driver would otherwise be spending on the transmission. If the driver can pay attention to other things, he/she will, and we all know what that leads to... Me cursing at the idiot in front of me because they should've never been allowed to take the driver's test, much less have a license... or worse...
</rant>