View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
firehawk618
EcoModding Apprentice

97 Civic HX sedan VX trans - '98 Honda Civic LX + HX + VX
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
I am really interested in that engine. I would seriously swap one in IF I could get the correct ecu.

From what I understand it would never pass obdii emissions testing in the united states but I am not positive.

Chryslerkid, I was under the impression our engines "y5" operates in 3 valve mode upto ~2800 rpm's then will go into 16 valve operation if you're heavy on the throttle.

Otherwise it stays in 12v generally.

Again, this is only what I have read and so far it seems like the y5 ecu operation is a ton of speculation and very little fact.

I wonder if the official Honda manual for the y5 publishes the ecu's logic for troubleshooting?

If you guys want I will wire in a temporary indicator to my vtec solenoid and report exactly how it operates on my car......

EDIT: If someone is good at arduino code and can edit the mpguino code to add 1 or 2 inputs........I would wire the vtec + upshift to that vs the dash lights.

I ended up pulling my upshift light out. Very annoying! Especially when it's occupying a full light therefore bright vs the real upshift arrow which is mostly blacked out. The other issue with that light is if you follow it there are times that will keep you out of LB. I ignored it and was able to get LB as low as 28 mph and the whole time the ECU was suggesting an upshift which would have kicked out LB for sure.